Applicant eligibility

May I apply from overseas? Yes. However, applicants must be able to communicate in Japanese or English.
May I still apply even if  I am not affiliated with a university or research institute? May I apply if I am a student? Yes. However, the applicant must organize and conduct active research throughout the time period stipulated by the grant as the primary researcher. If you are a student, you should apply in your name and list your supervisor as a collaborator.
Are those who have received other grants or subsidies eligible to apply? Yes. However, the research topic should differ from that supported by a grant from another source.
If I was awarded a grant, may I reapply the following year? Yes. However, Continued Development Research grants may only be applied for by researchers who have reported their results at the Yamada Bee Grant conference.
I am currently applying as a collaborator; am I eligible to apply during the same year as a primary researcher with a different research topic?



How to apply for a grant

How do I apply for a research grant? You can apply for a grant using the online application system ("Bee-RAC").
May I view documents submitted in the past? You can view them using "Bee-RAC," our online application system. However, it may take time for your application information to be updated.

Please let us know if you would like to see this information sooner.
How many grants will be awarded this year? As the number varies slightly depending on application content, we do not disclose the figure. If there are many applications describing creative research topics, the number will be greater than usual.
May I apply for more than one research grant at a time?  Yes. However, a separate application form is required for each topic. Moreover, applicants should note the fact that they are submitting multiple applications in the Additional Information section of each application form.
May I resubmit an improved application for a grant that has been previously declined?  Yes. Any progress made in the research should be detailed in the new application.
To which program should I apply? I am a previous grant recipient who would like to apply based on new research.  You should apply in the applicable category (any category other than Continuing Research).
Please tell me the topics selected in the past. Kindly refer to the Yamada Research Grant website, where we list "Awarded Topics" in the "Past Research Theme" section.
What should I do if I have a vast amount of information to include in my application? Please fill out the application as best you can. If you would like to submit further information on your research, please send us the documents as an attachment.
In the Publications section, should I only report papers for which I was the corresponding author, or should I include those which I co-authored? There are no particular restrictions. You may also include co-authored papers. Please report all authors of any papers you include in your application.
Do I need  permission from the ethics committee to apply? It is not necessary at the time you apply. However, it is necessary upon receipt of the grant and samples after being selected. Furthermore, it may take a few months to receive samples for clinical trials because of production and packing.
Do you accept both e-mailed applications and those sent through the postal system? Only entries using  "Bee-RAC" are accepted. Applications sent by e-mail or through the postal system are not eligible for consideration.
If I access and open the application form on the website before the application period ends, will my application still be considered even if sent after the application period ends? Only applications completed by the deadline are considered. As there may be a last-minute rush immediately prior to the deadline, individuals should allow leeway in completing their applications.
I found mistakes in my application after it was submitted. How can I fix them?  It is not possible to edit the application. If you would like to edit the application, please remove the submitted entry and submit a new application. 
May I apply with a 2-year research plan? New research proposal: please submit an application with a research plan that can be completed in 1-2 years.
Continuing research: please draft a 2- to 3-year research plan. However, written progress reports must be submitted annually. We will evaluate the written report and decide whether to continue the grant.
Do I need to provide a reference when applying? No. A reference is not necessary.
Which documents should I attach to the application? Please attach any publications, charts, and graphs relevant to your proposed topic, along with your papers or presentations. 
When will grant recipients be announced? All applicants will be informed of the results via "Bee-RAC" approximately 3 months after the application deadline. Results (award topics, recipients' names, and affiliated institutions) will be disclosed on the grant website.
Are there established review criteria? Review criteria are listed under Application Request for Proposals.
Are decisions based solely on submitted applications? Yes, decisions are based solely on submitted applications.

Can I find out the details of the grant decision regarding my application?  No, we do not provide information on the details of selection decisions.
Can you return my attached documents? Attachments cannot be returned.
What samples can be provided? Please refer to the "List of available samples" in the Samples section of our website.
I would like to know the specifics of available research materials. Please refer to the "Samples" section of our website. It includes basic information, references, and information on raw materials.

I am not certain of which raw materials to use. At the grant awards ceremony, researchers explain available raw materials, and award recipients may consult with them before reaching a decision. Requests may be made on the application form. Each raw material is listed under Available Research Materials. As a rule, (1) for research on humans, we provide research materials resembling actual products and (2) in animal and in vitro experiments, we provide research materials closely resembling raw materials.
Can I use materials other than bee products? Yes, but these should be products which may be evaluated for their synergistic effect when used jointly with bee products.
I would like to review past research data related to bee products. The Available Research Materials page of our grant website provides information on research materials.
Will I know who reviewed my application?  Decisions are made by the Yamada Bee Grant review board composed of specialists from academic institutions nationwide. 


Research expenses

How should I calculate my required research costs? Please submit your desired grant budget based on the expenses (itemized below) required to fulfill the research plan in your grant application. When doing so, please describe required research materials in as much detail as possible. Please refer to the Table of Grant Expense Accounting. We will consider the content and make a final decision.
1. Research Materials
2. Machinery and Equipment
3. Contracted Analysis Fees
4. Labor Costs
5. Indirect Expenses
6. Scientific Presentation Costs
7. Travel Expenses
8. Miscellaneous Expenses
What procedures should I follow to receive the grant money? As a rule, money will be provided in the form of a grant. However, as academic and research institutional rules vary, we will discuss the best way to offer aid with the recipient after the selection decision. Moreover, it may take time to issue aid in forms other than grants. 
When will the grant money be transferred? We normally deposit the research grant money on the last day of the month following completion of necessary procedures. However, if aid is provided in forms other than grant money, extra time may be required. In addition, for applicants selected for clinical trials, the deposit will be made on the last day of the month following notification to Yamada Bee Company of approval from the relevant ethics committee. Also, costs incurred related to conference participation (including conference registration fees and travel costs) and research paper publishing costs will be provided after submission of authentication documents (receipts or copies of receipts, presentation summary, accepted paper in PDF or Word format) to the Yamada Bee Company after the conference.
Is it possible to transfer part of the grant money to collaborators?  As a rule, grant money is transferred to the primary researcher. However, you may consult with the grant secretariat about exceptions.
If a grant is awarded for multiple years, is it paid in its entirety the initial year? The grant may be paid annually based on your submitted plan following an informal decision. However, an interim report must be submitted, and continuation of your research will be re-evaluated.
Are there cases in which the grant money must be refunded? In the following cases, the grant may be terminated and partial or full return of research grant money requested:
1) Failure to submit a report by the deadline with no explanatory contact.
2) Research content differing greatly from that described in the application
3) Reporting of research results achieved prior the grant research period
4) Failure to observe the conditions itemized in the pledge
5) Actions not aligning with the purpose of the grants.
For further details, please refer to Article 18 of the grant guidelines.
Must any unused portion of the grant be refunded? If there is no infringement of Article 18 of the Grant Application Guidelines, there is no need to refund unused portions of the grant. Such monies may be used in subsequent research. 
May I submit copies of receipts for purchased materials, or are original receipts required?

Copies will suffice.
May indirect expenses be claimed? Indirect expenses should be clearly stated and may be claimed in accordance with the rules of your institution. 
May I claim expenses for contracted experiments? Yes. Please submit a copy of the invoice, bank transfer notification, or a report of the contracted experiment(s) with your final report.
Can I apply for my research paper publication costs and conference participation costs?

Yes. Furthermore, we will furnish this money separately from research expenses. Therefore, you do not need to apply for this at the time of application. For further details, please refer to Article 10 of the Application Guideline.

Can I apply for research paper publication costs and conference participation costs for research that is unrelated to the grant topic during the period when selected?

You may only apply for costs related to your grant topic. In addition, paper publication costs and conference participation costs will be furnished after the paper is published/the conference ends. 
If I join an academic organization, can I claim the annual membership fee as an expense? Conference registration fees cannot be claimed. For details, please refer to Article 10 of the Application Guideline.
Can I include equipment-related expenses in my application? Yes, this falls under the "Machinery and Equipment" section of the Application Guideline (appended Table 1). Please detail these expenses in your final report.
Can I purchase items not mentioned on my application? Any grant money provided is limited to expenses necessary for the selected research. However, when there is a change in the research plan, you must submit an application for a research plan change and receive approval. 
Can I include personnel-related expenses as research expenses? Yes. Please refer to the Application Guideline appendix for details.
Is it necessary to withhold taxes for personnel-related expenses? Yes. This should be done by the primary researcher or by his/her affiliated institution. The primary researcher is subject to tax withholding once grant funds have been transferred to his/her account or that of the affiliated institution.
It is stated that grants will be "transferred by the end of December 2018," but what should be done about expenses incurred prior to this date? Orders, deliveries, and payments during the research period (starting October 2018) may be appropriated.  Please pay for the costs incurred before the actual grant provision using other research expenses, etc. 


Following selection of grant recipients

What is the flow of events between award announcements and grant money transfer? 1. Following informal notification, the selected applicant will revise the research plan in accordance with the conditions offered and submit the pledge and grant provision application including the research plan.

2. Once officials approve the above documents, the formal grant notification will be sent to the recipient's affiliated institution if necessary.

3. Once the institution sends the relevant bank information or invoice, paperwork will be processed and the grant transfer will be made. The grant money will be issued by the end of December 2018 into the prescribed bank account of the selected applicant. When clinical trials are involved, for the procedures starting at #2, the selected applicant must first gain approval from the Ethics Committee at his or her affiliated institution or the relevant testing facility. Once this is completed, the grant will be provisioned at the end of the following month.
Is there a conference for presentation of final research results? Yes. It will be held after submission of the final reports. It is normally scheduled between December of the research period year and March of the following year.  
What is the format for research reports? After the research period ends, we will have selected applicants submit a written final report. Also, we will have those selected for multiple years report their progress. In addition, we will also have selected applicants report their results at the conference of the Yamada Bee Grant. When we ask for a selected applicant to submit a separate report, the deadline for the report will be decided after discussion with said applicant.
Where are the awards ceremony and the Yamada Research Grant conference held? The awards ceremony is held at the headquarters of the Yamada Bee Company (194 Ichiba, Kagamino-cho, Tomata-gun, Okayama 708-0393, Japan). The Yamada Research Grant conferences are usually held in Okayama City, but this year's location has yet to be determined.
Should the grant recipient bear the costs for transportation and accommodation related to the awards ceremony and the Yamada Bee Grant conference? We will cover the recipient's travel expenses to the awards ceremony, and the speaker's expenses to the Yamada Research Grant conference. Please refer to APPENDIX 1 of the Application Guideline for details.
Are there any academic presentations prior to the Yamada Research Grant conference? The recipient can present research results at events other than the conference, as long as the secretariat is informed in advance. Planned conference presentations should be reported 30 days in advance if possible, and the secretariat should be informed in advance of journal submissions. In addition, when giving an academic presentation, please make sure to note that you are receiving the Yamada Research Grant. When giving a paper presentation, please make sure to note the clinical trials sample specifications. Academic presentations should always acknowledge receipt of a Yamada Research Grant. Please refer to Article 11 of the Request for Proposals: Miscellanea (3) Presentation of Research Results.
Is attendance required at the awards ceremony and the Yamada Research Grant conference? Yes, grant recipients must attend the awards ceremony which follows informal notification of grant decisions, as well as the Yamada Research Grant conference which follows submission of the final written report. If absence from these events is unavoidable, the individual should state the reason and a delegate should attend. Attendance at the awards ceremony is voluntary from the second year onward for recipients of Continuing Research awards, but the conference must be attended each year.
It may be difficult for overseas-based recipients to travel to Japan. Is it acceptable for such recipients to submit a final report and not attend the Yamada Research Grant conference?

We generally ask for a delegate to attend and make the conference presentation. The secretariat should be consulted concerning this matter.
Is approval from the Ethics Committee of a collaborator's affiliated institution acceptable, or does such approval need to come from the primary researcher's institution?

Yes, as long as the affiliated institution's ethics committee approves.
When my research is unavoidably delayed, may I ask for an extension? If there is a warranted reason for the delay, a written request for an extension may be submitted and a decision will be reached by grant officials.
When my research must unavoidably be suspended or abandoned for childbirth, childcare, or a related issue, what will happen? In such a case, must I refund the grant money?

If the research must be modified or suspended during the research period, formal written notice must be submitted. For details, please consult the grant guidelines. It may be possible to change the primary researcher or a collaborator, or to change the content of the research plan. For details, please consult the grant secretariat. If Article 18 of the Application Guideline is applicable, part or all of the grant may need to be refunded.